Meet The Blogger – Jess D
In our latest interview series which I like to call “Meet the Blogger”, where I spotlight inspiring creatives on this Blogger Magazine. We caught up with Jess D who runs blackgirlwhitegi blog and a fitness instructor by profession.
1. Tell us a little bit about yourself and your Blog?
Most people call me Jess and I am a fitness instructor, jiu-jitsu/martial arts practitioner, and overall energetic black woman. I found jiu-jitsu when I was in the lowest part of my life and I haven’t turned back since. My blog is geared to women, most importantly black women which you don’t see very often in a jiu-jitsu gym. The blog is to inspire women to just take that first step into a martial arts dojo, fitness studio, or just on the first step of their fitness journey and realize that despite all the pictures we see on instagram and all the celebrities with their perfect lives and bodies, it’s okay to not be perfect and learn when you begin. It also brings the femininity into a sport with mostly men. My blog focuses on martial arts, fitness, lifestyle, and self-love
2. Describe what inspired you to start your blog?
I noticed that in every gym that I went to I was the only black girl in the gym. I know there are many reasons why black women aren’t really into sweaty sports, and sweaty sports that require you to roll around with a man? So I figured as that I enjoy writing and content creation and do this blog to give my personal account as a black girl jiu-jitsu person. The “white gi” part in “Black Girl, White Gi” comes from the fact that when you start most martial arts, you are given a white uniform. The white uniform represents how I’m still always learning and we all are students, despite our years in a martial art, and in life.
3. How do you motivate yourself to keep the blog up and running?
Just realizing that although I’m not an expert, I love to share and love to write and I want to talk to and reach as many people as possible. I also communicate better in writing so this is how I’m getting my thoughts out.
4. How active are you on a weekly basis? How often do you communicate with your followers?
In terms of my blog, I’m active every day. As its 2020, I’m always connected to my social media and I love talking to new people. I talk to my followers so far every day or at least try to.
5. What do you think is the best social media strategy for getting more visitors to a blog?
This is what I’m trying to figure out for myself, but I think spending some time planning out posts so then you have time to communicate, talk to people in your niche on social media, and just being as helpful as possible when it comes to people’s questions on social media can help.
6. Would you encourage other people to make their blog?
Yes! If you have something to say and can be consistent about it, do it.
7. A lot of people think that blogging is an easy way to make money online. Do you have some tips for those people who are interested in making money from the blog?
Again, something I’ve been trying out myself but affiliate links seems to be the way to go!
8. What was the most challenging moment in your blogging journey so far?
Trying to come up with content every single day and getting overwhelmed
9. What is your greatest achievement outside of blogging?
Living in China, learning Chinese, and being in a culture completely unlike my own and THRIVING in it!
10. Who Is Your Blogging Hero And Why?
I honestly don’t have one but anyone who has set out to provide information and had the courage to stop whatever job they were working to blog full time is completely admirable. I wish to get there someday
11. What Advice Would You Give To A New Blogger Starting Out?
Just start! If you want to blog, just do it!
12. Have you collaborate with brands? If yes, name few brands you worked with
13. Finally, what are your thoughts about BloggerMagazine?
I didn’t hear about it before to be honest. Honestly, I kind of felt disconnected from the blogger community but after viewing BloggerMagazine’s platform, it like a great place to gauge ideas, connect with other bloggers, and get yourself out there
Follow Jess D on her journey at:
blackgirlwhitegi.com | instagram.com/blackgirlwhitegi_bjj | facebook.com/BGWGBlog