Meet The Blogger – Melissa Vera
In our latest interview series which I like to call “Meet the Blogger”, where I spotlight inspiring creatives on this Blogger Magazine. We caught up with Melissa Vera who runs Adventures of Frugal Mom blog.
1. Tell us a little bit about yourself and your blog?
I am a mom who is entering the next chapter of my life “Empty Nesting”. I have three beautiful daughters ranging from 25-18, and a mom in law to one amazing son. I am married to the love of my life, Raul, a native of Mexico. We are celebrating their 25th wedding anniversary this year. I am also mom to 4 furbabies (1 spoiled Shih Tzu and 3 cats) and a grand ”fur” mom to 2 cats and 1 dwarf hamster. In my spare time, I enjoy reading, crafting, binge-watching Hart of Dixie on Netflix and encouraging others to be their best. I have just recently overcome anxiety from being in way too many car accidents. (their fault not mine) and now I am burning up the roads exploring my beloved state of North Carolina. If you are looking for a blog that shares about travel, life in general, the “M” words- Marriage, Menopause, Motherhood, and everyday topics with an occasional recipe and craft thrown in for good measure then you have found where you need to be. Sit back, relax with your favorite beverage and explore all that Adventures of Frugal Mom has to offer.
2. Describe what inspired you to start your blog?
I was inspired by a fellow blogger. It first started out as a deals blog but eventually, it turned into a lifestyle blog.
3. How do you motivate yourself to keep the blog up and running?
Honestly, money. I purchased a storage building that we converted into a home office for me. I paid for the storage building and everything that went into it. My husband did the sweat equity. Knowing that I have an office that I have to pay for makes me committed to putting in the work.
4. How active are you on a weekly basis? How often do you communicate with your followers?
I blog daily sometimes I might skip a day or two. I try to post on social media daily as well.
5. What do you think is the best social media strategy for getting more visitors to a blog?
Honestly, it changes every day. Somedays Pinterest is amazing, other days it is Instagram. To be honest I think you need to be flexible in what social media you use. And don’t set in stone that you are only going to use one and that’s all.
6. Would you encourage other people to make their blog?
yes and I do all the time. People need to tell their stories.
7. A lot of people think that blogging is an easy way to make money online. Do you have some tips for those people who are interested in making money from the blog?
Honestly build your content and audience first. Blogging is not a get rich scheme by all means. You have to put in the work. You get back what you put in.
8. What was the most challenging moment in your blogging journey so far?
When someone tried to tell me that I can’t write my thoughts and feelings on my own site.
9. What is your greatest achievement outside of blogging?
That is easy my family.
10. Who is your blogging hero And Why?
I have so many. But there are two bloggers that I really admire and that would be Molly from Still Being Molly and Deanna from Everything and Nothing from Essex. Both of these bloggers have causes that they are very passionate about and it shows up in their writing. Molly is very passionate about fair and ethical trade and Deanna is passionate about Down’s Syndrome. They live their lives just as they write.
11. What advice would you give to a new blogger starting out?
Ask for help. If you feel overwhelmed asked someone for help. There are a ton of blogging groups out there. But remember that there are some bloggers you think that others are competition, so try to find the ones who aren’t trying to sabotage you.
12. Have you collaborate with brands? If yes, name few brands you worked with
Yes I have been an ambassador for several. Off the top of my head, Purina Dog Food (Beneful) Busch Gardens Williamsburg, Carowinds, Starbucks, Coastal Credit Union, National Pawn I even worked with our local USL Soccer Team North Carolina FC to promote them.
13. Finally, what are your thoughts about BloggerMagazine?
I think it is a great addition to the blogging world and a much-needed resource.
Follow Melissa Vera on her journey at:
adventuresfrugalmom.com | facebook.com/AdventuresofFrugalMom | instagram.com/frugalmom | twitter.com/MMGMOM3