Meet The Blogger – Mikaela Walker
In our latest interview series which I like to call “Meet the Blogger”, where I spotlight inspiring creatives on this Blogger Magazine. We caught up with Mikaela Walker who runs Orlando Parents Mag blog. Covering travel. Based in Sunshine State.
1. Tell us a little bit about yourself and your Blog?
I am a mom of two, a 5 year old and a 10 year old. We live in the Sunshine State and I love doing things with my kids and introducing them to new places. My blog is all about sharing information about activities parents can do with their kids in and around the Orlando metro area, including reviews of places I visited with my children and a calendar of events
2. Describe what inspired you to start your blog?
When my daughter was born, I was constantly searching for things to do with her and it took a lot of time. There wasn’t one central repository of information. When I moved to Orlando, I wanted to start my site to make it easier for parents to find things to do with their kids; it shouldn’t feel like work to find fun things to do.
3. How do you motivate yourself to keep the blog up and running?
Truly, a lot of the information that I find is useful for me as well, so that keeps me going. Also, where I am in Florida there are a lot of new transplants, so I constantly hear people say they didn’t know about this or that or ask for suggestions on things to do. This gives me motivation to keep going as I am helping others.
4. How active are you on a weekly basis? How often do you communicate with your followers?
I communicate on facebook and instagram at least 5 times a week. I am just returning to twitter and haven’t been on there much in the past year. I send out a newsletter by email once a week.
5. What do you think is the best social media strategy for getting more visitors to a blog?
So far for me, Pinterest has had the most rapid growth in providing followers.
6. Would you encourage other people to make their blog?
If you have something to talk about that is new or has a new spin, I would encourage it. I think some markets are saturated as everyone seems to flock to them. In those markets, I would be more hesitant.
7. A lot of people think that blogging is an easy way to make money online. Do you have some tips for those people who are interested in making money from the blog?
Don’t look at the folks who say they made money in a month or two of blogging. You have to put in some serious time and work to make money. Also making money without spending money is difficult to do. If your blog is a business, you will have to invest time and money just like any other business out there.
8. What was the most challenging moment in your blogging journey so far?
Being motivated to continue after the first year when I still had no one reading the blog. I kind of put my blog in maintenance mode and only did one post per week which was a calendar post of things to do that weekend. I had to get past that and find my interest and motivation again.
9. What is your greatest achievement outside of blogging?
I have an MBA and an MS in Marketing.
10. Who Is Your Blogging Hero And Why?
Amber Mamian is my blogging hero. I have been following her for a few years and I have watched how her blog and online presence has grown and she has managed to turn it into a business for both her and her husband to work in.
11. What Advice Would You Give To A New Blogger Starting Out?
A lot of people try to sell courses and give advice. You need to make sure that the person that is selling you the course/giving you advice has solid experience. Give yourself a budget and stick to it. There are so many things out there to spend money on, you can quickly see the amount you are spending start to add up.
12. Have you collaborate with brands? If yes, name few brands you worked with
No, I haven’t collaborated with any brands as of yet.
13. Finally, what are your thoughts about BloggerMagazine?
I think it is a great way for Bloggers to gain more visibility.
Follow Mikaela Walker on her journey at:
orlandoparentsmag.com | instagram.com/orlandoparents | facebook.com/orlandoparents | twitter.com/orlandoparents | pinterest.com/orlandoparents