Steps to become a fashion designer
Are you someone who is addicted to fashion? Do you believe in setting trends rather than following trends? Do you not only like to dress well but aspire to color the town according to your wish and bring a revolution in how people dress? Fashion designing could be a great option for you. You will get to create and experiment with different fabrics, styles and designs. With growing experience and enough understand ability you can open up your own unique, stylish line of clothing, accessories and footwear. You will be sketching designs of the outfit, choosing patterns, colors and fabrics, and give instructions on how you want the clothing piece to be made or designed.
In the present day education system there are plenty of professionals courses which have larger opportunities to show case your talent and where employbility earning prospects are higher. A Designer needs no introduction in the fashion market. The Designer has to be a creative person so that put their minds in any length and venture to be successful. In the current fashion conscious world there is a huge arena for careers for fashion. These include traditional costumes, footwear, wardrobe, jewellery, designing accessories etc. The career in this designing industry is very demanding and rewarding and yet glamorous.
The main tasks of a fashion designer involve:
- Study fashion trends and bring in designs that would tempt the costumers.
- Design a product line based on a particular theme.
- Use computer aided design programs.
- Visit manufacturers or to direct retailers to get fabric.
- Select fabrics, embellishments, colors, sequence and patterns for each outfit or accessories.
- Work in teams by collaborating by other designer and working on bringing in new designs and concepts.
- Giving ideas to creative directive director or arrange a fashion show and present the ideas and trends they have created.
- Marketing of designs and styles they have created to different manufacturers or directly to customers.
- Think about feasibility of an outfit and its usages.
- Classify their designs in various classes such as formals, casuals, bridals and so on.
- Take hold of production of their designs to make the end product.
After completion of 10+2 one has to go for an entrance test conducted by NIFT or NID for a 4 year bachelor’s degree in the respective field of fashion designing or textile fabrics, ornamentation and fashion trend education and training for becoming a Designer to make a career in domestic as well as international forum. Or after competing graduation in any discipline, one can go for entrance test by NID for a PG Diploma in Apparel Designing. After going through an extensive 8 weeks foundation studies, learners will be given specific range of activities in accordance with the industry needs. While studying students can learn latest international trends and also can interact with global experts through exchange program. Students can opt for courses on fashion designing, fashion styling and image designing, interior designing in the PG program.
Skills required for becoming a perfect Designer
- Good communication
- Interest in sketching
- Understanding of lifestyle
- Has to be inventive and artistic
- Creative and original
- Business acumen
- Prioritizing comfort
- Goal oriented
- Sense of colour and design
- Ability to think
Fashion designers basically get their ideas from the surroundings, the places they visit, the cultures they are brought up in, trends of previous years and current years. All these things play a very important role in creation of something new by a designer. He has to keep a lot in mind and at the same time allow his mind to explore and think of new ideas that can be implemented to bring a revolution in the fashion industry. Many times their designs are also based on the culture, country or people they are designing for. For example, if they are designing for United Arab Emirates then they have to be conservative in their styling. Bringing new designs even in the same age old fabrics requires extreme thinking abilities and then only something wonderful and unique can be created.
The whole process of designing to finally producing clothing is a long and time taking one. Like if a company releases new designs every fall and spring, then the designers have to plan, think and design months in advance.
Leave a reply
You must be logged in to post a comment.